Position announcement: Executive Director
Announcement: Executive Director
Position announcement: Executive Director
To apply: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Saturday. 10th of September 2022
Job Title: Executive Director
Reporting to: SDFG Board of Trustees
Key relationships: Finance Manager & Program Manager
Sudan Democracy First Group
The Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) was formed as an umbrella group of leading Sudanese independent and democratic civil society to serve as a venue for indigenous analysis and advocacy on justice, peace and democratization in Sudan. SDFG is a coalition of democratic, activist, trade unionist and academic Sudanese men and women representing different cultural and intellectual backgrounds. The main agenda of the initiative is to voice the concerns of voiceless Sudanese people across the country. SDFG focuses on providing Sudanese and international audiences with this type of knowledge and analysis by publishing regular updates on major political and peace issues. In addition to raising public awareness both inside and outside Sudan, SDFG works to promote civil society engagement on crucial issues affecting Sudan, by convening meetings and roundtables bringing together diverse sectors of Sudanese society.
Job Description: Executive Director Position
The SDFG Board of Trustees seeks a Sudanese by origin who is committed, energetic, creative, politically sensitive/ engaged, and a strategic planner, to serve as the organization’s Executive Director.
The Executive Director leads the overall management of SDFG, the implementation and the oversight of SDFG’s projects and initiatives, and guides the organization’s institutional and program development, in close consultation with the Board of Trustees. S/he supervises a staff team in different locations.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Management and Administration:
The Executive Director is the lead manager and administrator of the organization, and holds administrative and financial responsibility alongside the Board of Directors. With administrative/finance staff, the Executive Director supervises and manages all financial and budgetary elements of the organization, as well as human resources and the organization’s assets and equipment. S/he works with the designated Board of Director member to supervise and run bank accounts, bookkeeping, statement reconciliation, and compile periodic internal and external financial reports. S/he is also responsible for the overall performance of the SDFG staff through a performance management system.
- Strategic Development:
Based on the SDFG Strategy Document, the Executive Director ensures that strategic priorities, objectives and approaches are developed and activated and that financial and human resources are adequate to ensure their fulfilment. Strategic development of the organization includes the maintenance and development of good relationships with international and regional partners, including the donor community.
- Program Implementation & Development:
The Executive Director leads and supervises the implementation of the existing projects, and the development/design of new projects based on SDFG’s priorities and objectives. Responsibilities also include day-to-day supervision of staff and associates, overseeing implementation of activities, compiling internal and external reports and ensuring the development and implementation of security plans and procedures.
Duties and Tasks of the Position:
The SDFG Executive Director will focus on the following activities:
Program and Staff Management:
– Day-to-day management of the core team in main office and in the field, including human resources, accounting, finance, fundraising, communications, facilities management, compliance, security and risk management, and IT;
– Management of staff and relationship with partners, including development of a performance management system, work plans and deliverables;
– Development of human resource/personnel, financial, administrative, security, management and other policies and bylaws according to the SDFG’s constitution and strategy document, and as required by the Board of Trustees
– Develop and lead in the implementation of a rigorous evaluation systems for the management and program implementation;
– Supervision and management of staff recruitment including part-time, consultancies and services;
– Facilitation of the implementation of SDFG’s three-year strategy, and development of new projects/ initiatives including a related financing strategy;
– Guidance towards optimal organizational focus, strategy, objectives, capacity and structure;
Research, Policy, and Advocacy:
– Supervision of SDFG’s research, reports, audio-visual materials in order to ensure appropriate standards, positioning and reflection of Sudanese/indigenous perspectives;
– Contribution to the promotion and dissemination of research/reports findings through advocacy and public engagement;
Networking and communication:
– Act as a spokesperson for the Organization;
– Expansion of the reach, influence and public recognition of SDFG;
– Oversight and development of the organization’s website and other social media outlets;
– Coordination, networking and outreach initiatives/activities, including building relationships with partners, civil society groups, NGOs, political forces, and international and regional actors;
– Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify joint initiatives and maintain good working relations;
– Present regular reports and updates to the Board of Trustees.
Financial Management and Fundraising:
– Provision of a coordinated grant management system to enable program staff to ensure that SDFG satisfies existing and expected grant obligations;
– Raise program and institutional funds through grant writing, foundation and major donor cultivation, and funder briefings
– Conduct direct fundraising to secure the necessary funds for the program’s continuation and development, including with input from the Board; and Input into grant proposals and reports
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate, through their CV and cover letter, that they meet the following essential criteria:
- Being Sudanese by origin, with demonstrated political sensitivity, reputation on positive political and societal change, and commitment to SDFG’s vision, direction and strategic areas of interest;
- Significant civil society /NGO management and efficient operations experience, with a proven record of leading organizational management and development;
- Strong strategic and critical thinking and initiative;
- Ability to initiate, plan, and lead implementation of complex programs and initiatives that operate in fluid, politically sensitive and difficult logistical and security contexts;
- Strong financial management abilities;
- Successful international fundraising experience;
- Presence, judgment and capacity to interact effectively with leading figures from Sudanese civil society and political forces, and international actors;
- Personal creativity and an ability to build, lead and motivate a diverse team, including learning from their ideas and experiences;
- Proven ability to manage multiple offices and off-shore staff;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, in both English and Arabic;
- Proven research, policy analysis and advocacy skills;
- Information technology skills;
- Superb organization and time-management skills, including the ability to manage numerous tasks simultaneously, work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, keep calm and achieve goals;
- A university degree is preferred.
- Experience working in security sensitive contexts.
- Experience in partner capacity building.
- Experience conducting public awareness-raising and media-related activities.
Terms and conditions
Annual salary range: successful candidate will be commensurate with experience and budgets. Applicants are kindly requested to include their desired compensation in the cover letter.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send by email a letter of motivation/ cover letter and a C.V. with details of previous experience, and two references to: email@example.com , not later than 10th of September 2022.
In the letter the applicant should briefly propose areas/ ideas for future programming.
It is preferred that all materials be submitted via email. Kindly no phone calls. We regret that owing to the volume of applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.